When you invest in your vision, you invest in yourself. Talk to your surgeon about what you want from cataract surgery, and they will provide you with a recovery plan that best fits your needs.
The vast majority of patients resume day-to-day activities within a few days following surgery and most are fully recovered within a few weeks. Immediately following the procedure, patients may find that their eyes feel irritated, scratchy or sore. To reduce those symptoms, you may be given anti-inflammatory and antibiotic drops or an eye shield to wear at night. Your eye doctor will provide detailed instructions about drops, shields, and any other post-surgery care recommendations.Below are some helpful tips for the days right after your operation and making the most of life without cataracts:
- You will be given an anesthetic, so make arrangements for transportation ahead of your surgery. You may have to wear an eye patch for a short time after the procedure
- Generally, you should avoid strenuous activities for a few weeks after cataract surgery. Talk to your doctor if you have questions about certain activities
- Some eye doctors prescribe eye drops to help with recovery
- Most people are able to travel and return to their regular routines within a few days after the procedure
Top Benefits Of Cataract Surgery
Most people have improved vision soon after the procedure as well as other benefits:
- Vision improved greatly
- Can now see clearly with near, intermediate and distance vision
- Daily tasks became easier to manage and perform
- Quality of life has improved
- Less dependence on glasses
Enhancing Your Vision
- Can help free you from glasses and contacts, which can cost around $1,000 each year
- Can provide full clarity, near through far, without blurry zones
- May be associated with a reduced risk of cognitive decline
- Can help you fully embrace and immerse yourself in life
Juan used to see people on the street and not recognize them because his vision was so poor. Since his cataract surgery, he can see the true beauty and vibrant colours of his local neighbourhood in Spain.
Gaining greater clarity of vision was a huge advantage to Harvey's work as a dentist.